Subject: [Leica] Expensive software
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 13:48:37 +0000

Nopwe,

you pay local taxes to local govts. So if you order here (UK) and ship it to
the
UK you pay 20%!!! Value Added Tax (VAT) if appropriate (books are
"zero-rated",
but not VAT exempt), but if you order, say, a lens for shipment to a US
address
you are VAT exempt (but may have to prove that you are non-UK resident). Same
applies if I order something in US and ship it to the UK, I don't pay US
taxes,
but the VAT situation varies: sometimes you are required to pay it,
sometimes not.

Peter