Subject: [Leica] Re Waterproof camera case
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 18:16:07 -0500 (EST)

Frank Filippone writes:

This is a concept I have been interested in.. a bag within another carrying
device.... ?The Big Yellow Bag is a concept to keep gear dry on the trip to
the destination. ?In my case, I would like a camera bag that fits within a
daypack for travel. ?Everything sized to fit.

What I have found, in travel on airplanes or trains, it is easiest to carry
gear on the plane on my back, backpack style. ?However, the daypack makes a
poor daily user-bag for me. ?Too ?slow, must remove from back and put on
floor to get access, etc. ?I want the best of all worlds.
- - - -
I use a simplified version of what you suggest. My travel camera case is a
small size backpack from EMS (Eastern Mountain Supply). On a trip lasting
about a week I pack it with underwear, socks, a couple of shirts, and an
extra pair of jeans. My camera (s) and lenses are packed in freezer weight
Ziplock bags. T shirts between the Ziplock bags absorb shocks and prevent
the cameras from bashing each other. I have used this approach for about 15
years. Even when hiking on the Appalachian trail in thunderstorms the
cameras have never gotten wet, although I can't say as much for the
underwear. The backpack looks so ordinary that camera thieves in Europe tend
to ignore it. Friends of mine have had ?Lowe Pro bags stolen in train
stations.
Larry Z