Subject: [Leica] What is a Leica?
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 10:55:24 -0500 (EST)

 Geoff,
You have some serious decisions to make. You have said that a picture made
with any camera with a Leica lens on the front is a Leica picture. But there
are other possibilities. What about a picture made with a Leica camera with
a Canon lens on the front? Or a Nikon lens? How about pictures made with
cameras emblazoned with the Leica logo but made by other companies? I have
Leica's premier early digital, a Digilux Zoom, totally manufactured by Fuji.
I also have a Panasonic with a Leica lens. How about pictures made with a
Sinar? Or a Minox, a company once owned by Leica. I have plenty of Minox
pictures, some pretty good. Are they now Leica photos? Also what about Leica
lenses not made by Leica? During WW2 Leitz-New York substituted the
Wollensak Velostigmat for the 90mm Elmar, same mount, equivalent results.
Leica also authorized other lenses to be used on LTM cameras. And, of course
there is the Leica CL, the best small Leica ever made, except that my camera
and lens were made by Minolta.
It's a jungle out there.
Larry Z?

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] What is a Leica?)