Subject: [Leica] Using Leicas - and discussing the Yearbook
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 15:40:38 -0800

Not me.  Sold a lens or two over the years, but still have my R8 and an
assortment of R glass.  unfortunately, most the R glass has been converted
to fit my Nikon.  And also unfortunately, I am finding it harder to focus
with them on the nikon, so relying more on autofocus unless I am doing
landscape or macro work, where the focus is mainly at infinity, or I have
plenty of time to play with the focus

I was in Palm Springs yesterday and visited my first Leica Boutique store.
Amazing.  I got to try the M 240 with the viewfinder, but he did not have an
R adapter.  So I just used some M lens (not sure which one).  I found it
quite hard to hold steady and hard to focus.  I found the focus peaking hard
to see, and it would remain highlighted even as I moved the focus ring of
the lens quite a bit, so not that selective.  I only got to play for about 5
minutes, however.  The whole situation made me very anxious and
uncomfortable.  Maybe just in my mind because I knew I was not going to buy
anything.  But I had thought I would have been able to focus better.  I am
not sure what lens or even what f-stop it was set at.  Maybe it was stopped
down, but could not tell as the viewfinder was nice and bright.  It did look
better than the last EVF's I had looked through perhaps 3 years ago, when
the Nikon 1 first came out and I was considering it.  So, maybe I might give
it a better try the next time I come across one, whenever that might be.  If
I make it to LA before we leave and visit my friend who manages Calumet,
maybe he has one in stock and I will not feel more relaxed with him.

Aram