Subject: [Leica] Photorealism
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 15:57:32 -0500

This film has been in the movie art houses here in NY in the past months
http://movies.yahoo.com/video/tims-vermeer-trailer-212050412.html
'Tim's Vermeer'

Next time it plays I decided to see it. Though I hate laying out the bucks
for 80 minutes. And its not a real movie its a documentary.

As I've been no stranger to the MET, the Metropolitan Museum of Art as I
live in effect on the same street the last time I was there 2 weeks ago I
stumbled into a section I'd not been in before. And found myself confronted
by all the Vermeer's in New York; literarily. Its the title of a film which
played for two weeks in the Cinema 21 in Portland in 1990.
I noticed that his stuff seemed way better than the other couple of guys
hanging in the same room.  It was the first time I ever saw a Vermeer in
person. And realized all the hype was probably justified. I hated the movie
girl with the pearl earring by the way.

Photography students are up on Vermeer  because of his well known trick of
using the Camera Obscura to help with his perspective and I'm seeing now;
lighting. Thing  is the use of the device was common among painters in the
era. Was not considered cheating. Was not his personal ace up his sleeve.

These paintings Tina is showing  what seems evident to me is they were not
done by artists with their easels set up in the field.
But in their own studios with a big photo right next to the canvas. Turns
out this is what Photorealism literally means:

"Photorealism is the genre of painting based on using cameras and
photographs to gather visual information and then from this creating a
painting that appears to be photographic. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photorealism

Though a famous one whose work I caught last year, Chuck Close grids out the
photo to match up with his large canvas. Always a close up of his face.
Hence his name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Close

On 1/12/14 4:31 AM, "Philippe Amard" <philippe.amard at sfr.fr> wrote:

> Amazing it is but as often seen in the past since the camera obscura was
> invented these paintings rely on photgraphy to start with - so even if my
> first move when I retire will be to get the easel out I'm retaining at
> least
> one camera with a lens.

Thank you for the link Tina, very impressive body of
> work inside

An afterthought: I think it was Mark aka Rabs who wrote that
> digital noise is the brushstrokes of modern photography
> ;-)

Amities
Philippe

Tous vos emails en 1 clic avec l'application SFR
> Mail sur iPhone et Android - En savoir
> plus.

Message du : 12/01/2014
De : "Tina Manley " <images at comporium.net>