Subject: [Leica] IMG: No! No!
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 01:31:34 -0000

No, No! When I saw this guy with a full Nikon kit wave dismissively at me, I
went up to him & asked him what was wrong. He told me I couldn't photograph
his children. I told him that I could if he insisted on bringing out in a
public place.

He wasn't from Ireland, but was Northern European - Polish, Latvian, or
somewhere like that. I asked him where did he get that idea, as, with his
kit, he was obvously into photography. He told me he had been with his young
son in a playground and had been taking pictures of him on the swings. When
he was doing it for a while, some other parent had approached him and told
him to stop as they were concerned that he was taking pictures of their
child too. He then assumed that no one could take pictures in Ireland
without permission and was warning me just in case I ran into trouble.

I thanked him, explained that I was from Ireland myself, photography in a
public place was permitted, and that if anyone told me that I couldn't
photograph my own child, they'd be told to "Fu#% off!! and not be reading
shite from ill informed sources.

I tried to get him to join Bray Camera Club but he lived in the heart of
Dublin and was only out in Bray for the walk and the waves.

Bray beach. Fuji X100S.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/NoNo.jpg.html