Subject: [Leica] Comparing B&W M9/MM
From: leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson)
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 19:53:35 -0800

Ken, out of the camera, the dng from the MM is (if properly exposed)
pretty flat looking.
You will find examples all over with no processing done, which show that
flatness.
But the dng is so manipulable, you can pull it in any direction to
support the look you want. I'll be posting some examples of that later
tonight.

If you open a MM dng in PS, you will have an 8-bit Greyscale image.
I don't use PS for much, I use Lightroom, and when LR exports to a jpg,
it is an sRGB colorspace, so viewing MM and color images on properly
calibrated monitors and most web browsers is the same.

A properly exposed & developed Tri-X neg is generally accepted to have
13.5 stops of dynamic range.
Several sources stated & test that the MM has a dynamic range of approx.
13 plus stops.
Most of that small loss is in the shoulder, in my opinion.

Once you learn to meter and protect the highlights (since there is no
chance of recovery if clipped), there are amazing things that can come
out of the dng.

Jay

--
Jay,

Jay Burleson Gallery <http://jayburleson.com/leica/gallery/index.php/>
"Being a Leica customer is like dating the most beautiful girl in the
world...
who cares more about herself than you... but, you keep calling her back
anyway...
because the sex is so good... most of the time." (RickLeica on LUF)