Subject: [Leica] Comparing B&W M9/MM
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 17:24:57 -0600

Hi Ted

When I shot LF I went through all the zone system stuff.  I pulled out
my Pentax spotmeter this week and it has the film speeds taped to it for
film and developer combinations at N-1, N-2 and so on. Very helpful if
you are shooting sheet film and developing one sheet at a time - perhaps
not the best approach to covering the Olympics. When I took up 35mm I
discovered The New Zone System by Jim Brick. It has no doubt been posted
many times before but here it is:

There are four zones.
Zone Good, Zone Bad, Zone Ugly, Zone Butt Ugly.

To use the system:
Wake up. Get out of bed. Go outside.

     Zone Good
     It is light overcast, light shadows but good light direction.
Normal contrast.
     Expose normal (eg: ASA-100 @ 100) develop normal.

     Zone Bad
     It is dismally overcast, no shadows, perhaps even drizzle. Low
contrast.
     Underexpose one stop (eg: ASA-100 @ 200) overdevelop 20%

     Zone Ugly
     The sun is out, sky is clear with puffy clouds, and there are
blatant shadows. High contrast.
     Overexpose one stop (eg: ASA-100 @ 50) underdevelop 20%

     Zone Butt Ugly
     The sun is squinty bright, cloudless sky, and the shadows really
deep. Very high contrast.
     Go in, and go back to bed!. But, if you are a die-hard...
     Overexpose two stops (eg: ASA-100 @ 25) underdevelop 30%