Subject: [Leica] Voigtldr 50mm 3.5 Heliar with the Leica M240 ?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:14:15 -0800
References: <AF1CD0B3-491C-4B93-8221-BF9997DE681B@gmail.com> <CAE3QcF7mEZON+mmPGkYP+4QH_FF36x9Xr7kRZ3kzRUExbPukcg@mail.gmail.com> <1C41E377-CDA3-48CF-BB76-5735A35F2452@gmail.com> <CAE3QcF62ePbAaOnVJ-ZP_aWzjoPuyCwkfszDxSuaH20mC-wBxA@mail.gmail.com> <10062E26-AC66-42C7-86A4-CE2CA2E6E969@archiphoto.com> <01F084A7-842A-4045-8F79-3FD714EA10C9@gmail.com> <CAE3QcF7oXY3+qu-wdungDpNsN_AEnA_AQW=HZWk85U9qkzSv4w@mail.gmail.com> <B7A89BE5-5614-4E4B-90A7-2D4E1D376327@archiphoto.com> <CAE3QcF6QqeCW3fXnnr4VJpwNTXXdBL=1q0=YD6152ck-mcf+9Q@mail.gmail.com>

Yeah, it's hard getting that English(aus)<=>English(cdn) right!  :-)

Henning
On 2014-02-12, at 1:29 PM, Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes understood, Henning. Often my light hearted remarks (Adventurous) don't
> translate well. ;-)
>

> Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>

> On 13 February 2014 02:57, Henning Wulff <henningw at archiphoto.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Geoff, what I meant with that is that this isn't a matter of opinion,
>> maybe or phase of the moon, but a measurable quantity. So measuring is the
>> way to do it.
>>
>> It's always best to extend a collapsible lens before mounting or
>> unmounting it, but other than that measuring the rear protrusion vs. the
>> depth of the opening to the shutter will always tell you whether or not
>> the
>> lens will cause problems. Clearly, if you have an M5 the depth of the
>> opening is to the metering cell, but otherwise it is to the shutter.
>>
>> I have measured and ascertained that old 50 Elmars, Summitars, Summars,
>> Hektors and Summicrons pose no threat whatsoever, and Super Angulons and
>> Hologons are also OK. The recent 50 Elmar is good, and the 90 macro Elmar
>> is of course good because a) it was designed for these cameras and b) it
>> really doesn't protrude at the back when collapsed. These are facts, based
>> on the dimensions of the products.
>>
>> An easy way to measure: Take a thin strip of paper, and stick it into the
>> lens opening parallel to the lens axis into the camera until it touches
>> the
>> shutter. Mark where the paper touches the lensmount. Then take that strip,
>> and touch the end to the lens mount on the lens, and see if the mark you
>> have made extends beyond the end of the collapsed lens. Easy, and
>> definitive.
>>
>> Henning
>>

>> On 2014-02-10, at 3:47 PM, Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> That really highlights different thinking or language on the topic I
>> guess.
>>> Henning isn't happy with my description 'adventurous' ;-)
>>> By that I meant, if you are wrong there is just some potential for damage
>>> and opinions aren't guarantees!
>>> To be pedantic then; if the retracted lens protrusion rearward does not
>>> contact the internal chamber or shutter mechanism or cam roller and you
>>> always fit and remove the lens while carefully maintaining it
>> perpendicular
>>> to the opening then there is no potential issue. If the dimensions are
>>> close and you are occasionally less than perfect in handling then it is
>>> possible to catch on one of those surfaces.
>>> Or you can tape or zip-tie the lens extended as Leica recommends and
>> avoid
>>> any possibility of contacting the interior of your camera body when
>> fitting
>>> or removing the lens.
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff