Subject: [Leica] I've recovered
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:59:17 -0800

Some time ago my wife and I came down with fever, a cough and a liquid nose.
independent doctors (her?s and mine) after a chest X-rays that ?did not rule
out pneumonia? were prescribed the same anti-biotic. We were sick for about
three weeks. It was quite profound: my weight is down by six percent, and
for a few days, you could say that I was clinically depressed.

While the ?quacks? wouldn?t commit themselves: we both had flu shots and
they said there were no statistics on people getting flu after having the
shots, I?m convinced that it had to have been flu. It was too profound.

The effect  of the temporary depression was that I couldn?t communicate with
friends. While last Saturday, I felt that I had recovered sufficiently to do
my regular shift at the Computer History Museum, which was participating in
a 45 minute lecture demonstration of the Babbage Difference Engine, followed
a quarter hour later by a one-hour guided tour of the Museum, the very next
day I felt as follows:

I couldn?t bring myself to phone my geocaching buddy, a friend since 1986. I
went almost under protest to a performance of Die Fledermaus and sat there
wishing I were somewhere else. My wife had organized a party of friends for
dinner after the performance, and I just opted out; asked to be dropped off
at home. I just couldn?t talk to people.

The next day, yesterday, I was over it. Strange.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204

Replies: Reply from leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans) ([Leica] I've recovered)