Subject: [Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 19:28:42 -0800

This LensRentals.com comparison may be of interest to some here.

The relative MTF performance of the Sony a7r and Leica M240 were compared
when both were using the Leica 50 f/2 ASPH.

See
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/12/sony-a7r-a-rising-tide-lifts-all-the-boats

This is what this test showed:

Numbers are MTF50 in the following order: Center, Average, and finally the
Corner.

@ f/2 on Sony A7R:     1365, 1205, 680;

@ f/2.8 on Sony A7R:   1550, 1200, 710;

@ f/2 on Leica M240:   1075, 970, 725;

@ f/2.8 on Leica M240: 1135, 1015, 840.

Basically, the M240 has more effective microlenses, but aside from that,
the higher MP of the Sony pays off.

See also
http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=151&catid=40&Itemid=2&limitstart=1where
the writer compares, among others, the Summilux 50 ASPH to the
Sony-Zeiss FE 55.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com