Subject: [Leica] Jaywalking
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 12:59:41 -0500

There is a scandal going on now where I live on the Upper West Side of
Manhattan NY cars are moving down pedestrians like bowling pins every five
minutes and at the next intersection from the last one.. A cab driver who
kills a little boy and knocked down his dad was back on the street the next
day driving his cab. Death by car means you get sent to the principles
office.
The new Mayor and police responded by handing out pedestrian tickets to
hundreds of people the next day.  Crossing without the light is also
considered J walking. They dragged a very old Chinese man down the the
ground for not stopping to get his ticket and someone got shots of his
bloodied head.

The reasons are now said to be two fold.
The speed of the cars and the cars "failing to yield the right of way".
We take it that  "failing to yield the right of way" means they mow you down
like a dog in the street because they think they have the light and you
don't.
Or "this guy is annoyingly texting in the middle of the crosswalk lets see
how far he goes flying when I neglect to break."
Or "death by GPS"
Or the driver was texting.