Subject: [Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 13:56:52 -0800

Focus shift update:  The bottom line I'm beginning to come to is that the
36 mp sensor is going to make minor issues look more major when pixel
peeping.  The focus shift of the 35mm FE on the a7r might well be in that
category.  In some more real world shooting today, the mode of manually
focusing, with focus magnification, at f2.8 and then shooting at f8 made
the best image, at least where I could not just use the distance scale to
manually focus on "infinity."  The f8 AF was weak even in the sun.  Second
best in more real world shooting after the manual focusing at 2.8 &
shooting at f8 was AF at f2,8 and shooting at f8.  In other words, in many
if not most situations, the typical SLR way of doing things may be the best
approach.

I can't say the FE shift is any worse than average.

So, why is Sony avoiding the wide open focusing as the norm?  Does it
overheat the sensor?

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com