Subject: [Leica] Leica's April 24th announcement - place your bets!
From: jplaurel at gmail.com (Jim Laurel (gmail))
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:57:26 -0800

I never will understand all this obsession with ultra-high ISO. Along with
bokeh, it has become a fetish in the photographic community.

For so many years, we traveled with the Leica M6 and a few fast lenses and
100 ISO slide film, which we would sometimes push 1 stop. Only rarely did I
feel the need for ISO 1600. The Leica M8 was already better than 35mm film
at comparable ISO sensitivities. The M9 is better still and yet in today's
world it is considered woefully obsolete. I can understand that for Chris'
wedding work, 12,500 allows him to capture images that were just not
possible in the days of film, but few consumers have such a requirement.

One thing is for sure. While a few photographers are using the new
capabilities of digital cameras to push creative boundaries, most simply
inundate us with well-exposed and sharply focused images with crazy bokeh at
outrageous ISOs that have little real content.

--Jim