Subject: [Leica] Is it just me, or are these new Leica lenses a huge step up?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:03:46 -0400

I thought when the first dig M's came out the M8 and maybe M9 that because
the sensor is so flat compared to film it brought out focus shift to an
unacceptable level which was ok on curved film before. That's how I absorbed
it at least. Has that been disproven?
Anyways I do have the lens. It cost me a bundle. And is it a reason for me
to try to get a new M? They upgraded the lens I think and are calling it
something else.

On 3/12/14 4:57 AM, "Marty Deveney" <benedenia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Focus shift is a property of lenses, not cameras.  The 90 AA
> has little focus shift but when using the rf the cam on many
> lenses does not follow the focus properly. Lenses that focus accurately at
> infinity can be off at 10m and then on again at 3m all at the same
> aperture.  Henning described it here:
> http://leica-users.org/v49/msg10637.html. I mistook it for focus shift when
> I first got my M8.
>
> Marty
>

> On Wednesday, 12 March 2014, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Are the older LEICA APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH - still focus shifting
>> on
>> the latest Leica M's?
>>

>> On 3/11/14 10:47 PM, "Geoff Hopkinson" <hopsternew at
>> gmail.com<javascript:;>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The new 35 is designed to reduce the focus shift inherent in the older
>>> design. I do like it a lot. The 50 Summilux of course predates the M (Typ
>>> 240) considerably. Both work really well on my camera. Focus system in
>> the
>>> new camera is refined further too.. Personally I wouldn't replace the
>>> Elmarit M 90 with the Summarit. It is a great performer already.
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff