Subject: [Leica] Film recorder services
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 15:03:37 +0000

I am not sure whether or not it is the same process or not, but I have seen
quite a bit on creating negs using high-(er?) end printers onto what is
effectively plastic film. The long term problem is then transferred from the
long-term robustness of the print to the robustness of whatever film is used.
And, yes I have heard of people wanting to do three colour separations using
them. Then again, you have to be able to guarantee the registration
qualities of
the sheets over a long time.

As an aside, pretty much every early book or other written record that has
come
down to us has survived largely by chance. The likelihood of photos surviving
without curation to Library of Congress standards and beyond (and there are
those on the list for whom that might happen) is, I regret to say, small.

Peter