Subject: [Leica] One more IR pic
From: jplaurel at gmail.com (Jim Laurel (gmail))
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 15:52:23 -0700

A converted camera makes IR very easy, since you can easily shoot handheld.
If you convert an SLR, however, make sure it is one that has a good live
view mode with the ability to zoom in 10x for focusing. At first, I was
using my M8 with a red filter for IR and it just gets to be too much of a
PITA with the tripod and slow exposures.

On the other hand, mirrorless cameras make good candidates for conversion
because they can focus infrared light right off the sensor.

When my wife switched her dive cameras to the 5Dmk3, I snagged one of her
old Mk2s and had it converted by Lifepixel. It works really well for that
purpose, though I quickly learned that many of the Canon lenses aren't
suitable for IR due to hotspots. For landscapes, the Canon 24mm TS-E is
wonderful. Sharp right to the corners and the shift function makes it easy
to do IR panos.

--Jim