Subject: [Leica] Together again for the first time
From: jplaurel at gmail.com (Jim Laurel (gmail))
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 14:26:10 -0700

The EVF and R to M adapter are a huge boon to landscape photographers. Or
street photographers who want to do a bit of landscape work while traveling,
but don't want to bring along their big DLSR system. The EVF makes it
possible to use ND grads, polarizers, and to focus longer lenses like the
80-200 Vario Elmar. And difficult-to-focus lenses like the 90mm APO
Summicron and 135mm APO Telyt can now be focused accurately.

I just received the M42 to LM adapter, which will allow me to mount my old
75mm f/1.5 Biotar and 58mm f/2 Biogon lenses!  The 5cm Summarit f/1.5 might
as well be uncoupled and now, for the first time, back focus with that lens
is a non-issue.

In just a few years, I've gotten so used to EVFs, that using a DLSR seems a
real step backward. Being able to preview what a scene is going to look like
before you hit the shutter, the ability to boost the EVF brightness so
focusing is easy, even in low light.

That said, I also enjoy using the M as a rangefinder. But it is becoming
more difficult as the years pass.

--Jim