Subject: [Leica] Leica T article and photos
From: leicaphong at gmail.com (Phong)
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 08:33:50 -0400
References: <CAE3QcF5ORxn5q+HUTnv1u5qw9t9jvYBLTKk8VUFZYk5vBk6EsA@mail.gmail.com> <CA+FSgq4+7uT-Y40JSMDjtEX4cnys9uYhwgkOjgbLZRg9oeZegg@mail.gmail.com> <CAE3QcF4vE3DaA+HZxFXgwcG6QFGjkgdk1rn_X6ZkhFtHmvizZg@mail.gmail.com> <2A8DB927-BD78-4C9D-9B6D-B8CF0FF67A67@frozenlight.eu> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9E6B2982E@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9E6B29F3B@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <06144D56-F7C0-4C49-A69A-62D399EEC8CC@gmail.com> <CAF8hL-HoATvTQ=BzJJe_8zSRnCA4cnQqJ37GyNJYprLyvfbj_w@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ2Vy6EroiBbWiSp7upuk1QPLxJqc8U4V6+jaH9Y6HsEPg@mail.gmail.com>

I find at least 90% of the reviewers worse than useless; but then there are
a few who give very good insight and critiques of the cameras.
For example, Tom Abrahamsson is apparently affiliated with CameraQuest, but
I still trust Tom to give nothing but an honest opinion of the Cosina
Voigtlander lenses and products.  Also, the Leica community is a small one,
and it's not difficult to get to know a reviewer "off line", and get a more
candid opinion.  Regardless, you need to learn to read between the lines,
not different from watching news conferences on TV.

In any case, the reflex mirror on my 8 year old Canon 5D SLR fell off
recently, and rather than replacing it with another Canon SLR, I am looking
into possibly switching into an APS-C system to take advantage of the
smaller sizes of the zoom lenses. Hence my interest in the Leica T, as  I
have to come to really appreciate Leica's design philosophy with their
commitment to image quality, even if I do not always agree with their
implementation details.  That said, I am not sure if I can adjust to a
camera without an optical finder like the T.

I would also like to get a full frame digital M to use a 28mm lens; I have
tried a 21mm on my M8 for the past year or so, but I find that approach
quite inconvenient, more so now that the 28mm view has evolved to be my
favorite.   So for now, I use the surprisingly (at least to me) excellent
Ricoh GR, which is a small APS-C camera with a fixed 18mm (eq to ~28mm)
f/2.8 lens, with an external optical viewfinder mounted.

All that to explain why I spend time "reading what these sort of reviewers
have to say".
I for one appreciate recommendations to good Leica camera reviewers.

Best,

- Phong

Message from jackyaus at gmail.com (Jacky aus) ([Leica] Leica T article and photos)
Message from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Leica T article and photos)