Subject: [Leica] Leica T lens not optically perfect?
From: jplaurel at gmail.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 10:22:19 -0700

Makes perfect sense to me. While I?m not an optical engineer, my
understanding is that lens design requires balancing various performance
parameters such as resolution, contrast, geometric distortion, vignetting,
chromatic aberration, and probably a bunch of others of which I?m not aware.
It makes complete sense to me that, given the processing power available in
modern digital cameras, lens designers can now effectively consider software
as part of the optical design. I keep hearing people refer to this as some
sort of deficiency in the lens designs, when in fact, appropriate use of
software correction is just part of the optical design. The integration of
software correction will give us smaller, lighter, better performing and
less expensive optics.

?Jim