Subject: [Leica] Night in Yosemite
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 06:52:24 -0700

Our first night in Yosemite was 3 days before the full moon.  We decided to
try some night shots with the moon lighting up the cliffs and see what
happened.  Here are my attempts.

First stop was Valley View.  I have never seen night shots from there.  View
Large.  Can you see the climbers on El Capitain?
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/y/n/Valley+View-0423-Edit.jpg.html

Then on to Tunnel View:  You can also see the climbers.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/y/n/Tunnel+View-0432-Edit.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/y/n/Tunnel+View-0437.jpg.html

We then headed down to Swinging Bridge
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/y/n/Swinging+Bridge-0442-Edit.jpg.html

The long 30 second exposure allowed the capture of a pretty nice reflection.

Last stop, Sentinel Bridge
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/s4/y/n/Sentinel+Bridge-0452.jpg.html

All these except for Valley View, were with the Leica 35-70.  All shots at
F-4 with 30 second exposure at ISO 800.

More to come of the moonbows with the full moon.

Some technical  info:  Focusing is a pain with a modern DSLR lens.  You
cannot just dial it to infinity and take the picture.  There is no infinity
stop.  You have to sight a star in live view and then try to focus on it
while looking at it magnified 10x on the view screen.  And if you have a
zoom, at least the zooms I have (16-35/4 , 24-120/4  and 70-200/4 Nikkors)
or the three my father-in-law has (24-85, 18-35 and 70-300 Nikkors) you have
to do this at the focal length you are using, because if you change FL, the
focus changes.  So, if I can get by with a range of 35-70, which fortunately
I can, I use the great Leica 35-70/4 zoom.  No focus problems....  Crank it
to infinity and go for it.  No zoom problems.  All FL's are in focus as you
change the zoom.  And the added bonus, wide open it is so much sharper than
any of the Nikkor zooms.

Comments welcome.

Aram

Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired (retarded?) Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

"The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin himself
would ever have dared dream."   James D. Watson

Replies: Reply from george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] [LRflex] Night in Yosemite)
Reply from leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson) ([Leica] Night in Yosemite)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Night in Yosemite)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Night in Yosemite)