Subject: [Leica] A comparative test of 50mm lenses, including four of our collective faves, with hard numbers
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 11:28:33 +0100 (BST)

Quite so, but have you noticed how huge they are?
I seem to remember an interview with a Leica lens designer who said they it
was relatively easy to get excellent performance from a lens if size and
weight are not constrained. At the time he was talking about the difficulty
of producing excellent lenses for the M without blocking the viewfinder and
that the R lenses were easier.
Those new super lenses (Zeiss and the Sigma 35 and 50) are huge and very
heavy. I fear they have been encouraged by pixel peeping 100% digital files
on computer screens and typical internet discussions thereof, rather than
producing better prints.
FD