Subject: [Leica] Experience of traveling with a Nikon setup, rather than a M9......
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 12:42:52 -0700

I would like to relate the good and bad, from my point of view, between the
M9 and a complement of lenses, and the Nikon D7100 with 2 lenses.

I could have taken either setup.. The Nikon with zoom lens, or the M9 with a
set of lenses.

The Nikon setup was chosen because of its lighter weight, and what I hoped
would be good enough image quality.  ( the output will be a Blurb book)

The Nikon D7100 body, plus 16-85mm Zoom lens with VR.  I also took the
50/1.4 Nikon lens as a low light assistance.

The results:

1)    The Nikon zoom lens I took with me were out-resolved by the sensor.
Leica glass is considerably sharper.  I knew this ahead of the trip.

2)    I basically bolted the zoom lens on the body and unless the lighting
was really low, it stayed there.  1 Lens simplification.

3)    No dust on my sensor. if you do not remove the lens from the body, you
get considerably less dust inside.  My shots seem pretty dust free.

4)    I did not worry if I had to leave something in the hotel, the value of
the camera was much less than the M9.

5)    I walked around, most of the time, with the camera + zoom around my
neck, and the spare lens in my backpack.  Less weight, bulk, etc.

6)    A good deal of the shooting was at the extremes of 16 or 85mm.  The 16
position was the most used focal length.

7)    The twinkle light on the D7100 did come in handy a few times.  I would
not think I needed it, but it was handy.

8)    Exposures were spot on, almost 100% of the time.  M9 presents a spot
meter.  Not quite as easy to use.

9)    The VR did an admirable job of taking out the vibration on grab shots
from the bus.  ( Surprise for me)

Could I have done this with a Leica M9 kit?  I do have the 28-35-50
Tri-Elmar and either a 21 or 24mm lens. plus either a 75 or a 90.. But the
changing of the lens, and the dust issues alone are enough to make a grown
man cry...

With the exception of the resolution of the lens, ( and I picked that lens
because it is both light weight, has a pretty good reputation, and was
priced reasonably compared to the more Pro quality lenses), I was very happy
with the results.

Would I do it again?  Probably..

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net