Subject: [Leica] OT: My gallery recovery
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 11:10:31 -0700

There are two kinds of backups: physical safety backups and archival
backups.
A physical security backup makes a copy of the entire computer.
An archival backup makes (and keeps) copies of each of the collections
of data on the computer.

On my server computers I make physical safety backups. This lets me
recover when a server fails.
When one user loses data, the recovery process is complex, because you
have to restore the entire system onto a "virtual server" and then copy
the individual pieces from that virtual server ovder into the real
server that lost data.

I've been running the Gallery software for years and years and I've
never had to do a one-user restore before. Now at least I know how,
except that I haven't figured out how to do a one-user restore of the
metadata (dates, order of images within folders, ...)

I'm very deeply puzzled as to how Herbert Kanner's photos all vanished.
I sure hope this doesn't happen to anybody else.
But if it does, please tell me quickly. I only keep 7 days' worth of
recent backups (since their purpose is not being able to roll back in time).