Subject: [Leica] Film processing in almost clean water?
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie)
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 12:05:13 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Newer GAC iterations, i.e. coconut carbon etc. are proven to be effective in
the removal of a wide range of dissolved chemical compounds in varying
degrees.
Usually in the 90 plus percentile...Maybe RO gets closer to 100% removal? Not
sure, as I know very little about Reverse Osmosis.  ;-(

Montie

>>The problem with filters is that they remove only particulates, and those
>>only above a certain size. KDF can oxidize dissolved chemicals but its
>>effects are variable, and it's not adequate if toxic organic compounds are
>>present. Dissolved chemical pollutants can be removed by activated carbon
>>but again I don't think it should be trusted to do so without testing.

Strong second to the motion to have the water tested before using it for
drinking. If it doesn't leave a visible residue, I'd guess it's suitable for
a final wash in film processing, since a low concentration of organic
compounds whether vegetable or industrial is not likely to materially affect
the plastic base, gelatin, or elemental silver grains of fully processed
film.

?howard (retired hematologist-oncologist)