Subject: [Leica] Is this ethical?
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 10:19:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 George Lottermoser <george.imagist at icloud.com> wrote:

>In most cases when someone says, "no photo" to me - I respect their wishes;
>as I would hope they might respect mine if, for some reason, I said to them
>"no photo."

>Depending on circumstances I may talk to them about considering a look at a
>print to see if they may like the image; or appreciate why I photographed
>the scene with them in it.

>Ethics and morals can be either imposed from outside or inside our own
>value system. In either case this very personal matter can only be decided
>by you - the photographer.

and

>It comes down to developing and using "people skills" - a bit of courtesy,
>good humor, an ability to defuse mellodrama, a smile can go a long way -
>especially with a card and a mini->portfolio handy.

>a note off the iPad, George
===============================================================================================================================================
Coincidentally, last evening I took some candids of a father and daughter
sharing a 3D puzzle at the Milwaukee Art Museum.   I was sitting at a table
and the situation was so perfect I shot three frames from right where I was.
 Waiting until it looked like they were leaving (when the mother came out of
a lecture), I gave them my card, showed them the pictures, and asked if they
were uncomfortable with the images.  I also said I could email the pix.
They loved the shots, and we had a nice conversation.   The mother told me
she had left a job in the  banking world to get a degree in art, and was
much happier, and that she enjoyed photography in high school.

I'd like to post he pictures, but I want to ask the family first.

Alan

(Retired)
UPAA Photographer of the Year 1978
UPAA Master of the Profession 2014