Subject: [Leica] Super Moon through APO Televid 82
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 19:39:14 -0400

As an amateur astronomer who has tried to get photos that faithfully
represent what's seen through the eyepiece, I'd say that the image you
posted is not bad at all for a single image taken with an 82-mm objective.
For comparison, here's a single image of the same Moon with a Canon DSLR
through an astronomical telescope of three times the aperture of the
Televid, yet it's inferior to yours:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/laurie_astronomy/14665188023/

Do you mean that the visual appearance through the Televid was much sharper?
That's very typical and is due to the fact that an astronomical object is
always viewed through a turbulent, boiling atmosphere that the human visual
mechanism compensates for, both by integrating the image over time and by
being abe to see momentarily sharp details. The best images of the Moon and
planets invariably come using specialty software that examines huge numbers,
hundreds to thousands, of individual video frames taken at prime focus (as
you did, with no eyepiece or camera lens) with either a cheap webcam or a
somewhat more expensive several-Mpx "planetary camera" (that still costs
less than the leather case for the Televid!), selects the best images (whose
details in hundreds of points across the image deviate the least from the
mean positions of the details), derives from them a consensus image using
the mean position of each detail, and applies mathematical routines to
"deconvolute" the details to partially compensate for residual smearing.

Or do you mean that the image looks better on your monitor right out of the
camera than off the Gallery? When viewed large, your Gallery image seems to
have a peculiar graininess, almost pointillistic, and I wonder whether it
would look better if it were uploaded with less compression and size
reduction.

If I have favorable conditions here tonight, I'll try to get a single image
with my 155-mm apo refractor and post it.

?howard