Subject: [Leica] IMG: Portraits and Dance
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 00:45:20 -0400

I've done a fair amount of work on the white backdrop with my M6's and 90's
and 135's watching the flash go off inside the frame lines and getting a
whole class of higher results.  I've just not once ever met anyone else
who'd done so. This Pedro Ferreira guy seems great. A very impressive
craftsman some of those shots look like they were done with something just a
tad longer like a 75 a lens you'd think a guy like this would like.  A  75mm
f/2.0 APO Summicron M Aspherical.  Or again by cropping around 20% with the
M9 at lowest iso's.
I don't  feel I need to look through a lens to make a 90 or 135 work for me
most had gone for a Leica R or Leiceflex or a Nikon F for such a task. They
wanted an SLR for the studio. Also for its much higher sync speed a lot of
people felt the M's 1/80th just didn't cut it for strobe flash tasks. You
just have to be aware of your ambient light levels in ratio to how much
light your strobes are putting out. They need to be putting out a lot more
than the ambient light which is there.
At first I didn't get my Leica M for studio I got it for personal street
work but right off the bat didn't want much to do with my Nikons. Only if I
needed my 105 macro.
I found when I got my 90 Elmarit and 90 Apo asph Summicron on my M6's with
the Balcars that it proved to be very rewarding on all accounts. To the
surprise of my photographer friends I'd mention that to. Its as if they
thought it couldn't be done. It certainly can.*

People think all kinds of things.
People think a Hasselblad is a tripod only camera.
People think they must disengage all automatic functions on any camera they
use as such things are foolish. And the silly camera makers should hot have
put them in their in the first place.  It stifles your creativity.
People think that the true iso's of most films are two stops slower so they
over expose their film by two stops and think all the other  people are in
serious trouble. (They just never get around to looking at the other peoples
images.)
It amounts to people thinking that shooting oneself in the foot equals
taking the  higher road.
We must be  photo ascetics and suffer to be great. ... Or even just good
Well you don't. The number on the film box is most often the true speed of
that film and the auto features on a camera is made to be used. And will be
constantly being used by top pros. And a Hasselblad can go anywhere and do
anything and fits perfectly in an open hand. Just like a Rolleiflex.

The problem might stem from photography being much more an avocation than
vocation. Its a thing we approach with our egos not our common sense. It's a
thing we do for love not money so its all about logical technique its about
us.

* http://rabinergroup.com/ImagePages/Carrie.html

On 7/20/14 6:01 PM, "Scott Gregory" <scottgregory at mac.com> wrote:

> Mark if you have not done so, take a look at the video on Vimeo of Pedro
> Ferreira fashion photographer using his M9 and the 50 f2 Asph
> Nice looking work I thought,
>
> Scott
>
>> On Jul 20, 2014, at 5:23 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> And then there is a mind set which feels an M does not belong shooting in
>> front of a white backdrop. Cameras can get put in little subsets of their
>> true capabilities.
>>

>>> On 7/20/14 5:17 PM, "Geoff Hopkinson" <hopsternew at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well you can I guess Mark and some people do. I don't want to carry a pro
>>> size Nikon or Canon or anything else around the street personally.
>>> But I have the M and great lenses anyway.
>>>

>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff