Subject: [Leica] Re; 24x24mm film size
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 10:57:33 -0400 (EDT)

Marc writes:
"If they made a 24x24mm format 35mm camera who knows how much more film
would
have been shot?
Why not make a square format digital camera? Or one with that format in
the
options? I'd buy one!
Its great to never have to turn your camera on its side."
- - -
Of course they did make a 24x24mm format 35mm camera. Several of them.
The Robot camera, designed by Kilfitt and made by Berning (later
Robot-Berning) was manufactured and sold from 1935 through 1990. The
Zeiss Tenax was also 24x24mm. The autowinding Robot was a favorite of
action photographers. It was used by the Luftwaffe as a gun camera in
WW2. I am the proud owner of several of these mechanical jewels.
However as a large image fan I found the negatives a bit too small for
the films of the Robot era. Except for action shots. I could bang off
enough pictures to fill an entire roll in just a few seconds. But I too
would like a square format digital camera. The square format would make
much better use of the lens image circle and it would be great not to
have to rotate the camera. How about a 40x40mm miniature digital
Hassie? Even a 30x30mm would do, especially if it could mount Leica
lenses.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Re; 24x24mm film size)