Subject: [Leica] Your opinions please
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 13:45:37 -0700

Hi, Lluis!  I agree that the V7000/LR5 is best.

I've used a Canon FS-4000 scanner for years. The supplied Canon software
made high contrast scans much like your first example. This was "baked
in" and couldn't be undone. So I switched to VueScan.

After scanning, I adjust and dust-spot the images in Picture Window Pro
(PWP). I have two methods:

For pictures that will be printed or I want maximum detail/quality, I
scan to 16-bit TIF files using maximum resolution and lowest contrast
(making sure that the extremes of highlight and shadow are within the
curve). Then I do my adjustments in PWP.  If the picture is very
contrasty, I turn on the feature that does two passes with the scanner,
one exposure for highlights and one for shadows. Only some scanners
support this, I don't know if your Plustek does.

For old family pictures that will be only viewed on-screen or don't have
much resolution to begin with, I scan to JPG. I have some settings that
work well most of the time. They get the picture right, or almost right.
I do only a little adjustment in PWP, and it's done.

Part of your problem may be that scanning film is very different from
"scanning" real life with a digital camera. In one case the sensor is
getting light reflected from reality.  In the other, it's getting light
transmitted through the film, which has changed the contrast range of
the original scene. So the Raw software may be getting a very different
contrast range than it was designed for, and the default settings are
way off.

I thought about trying to use Capture One with my film scans. The
VueScan version I have doesn't create DNG files, and I haven't upgraded
yet. The other issue is that Capture One can remove little spots of
dust, but to remove longer "threads," regular image editing software
with a clone tool is better.

--Peter

 > Thank to all of you my friends for your opinions, I think too that
the V7000
 > and LR5 processing is better, I would like do some more test with
V700 and

Replies: Reply from lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Your opinions please)