Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Bokeh
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 16:45:26 -0400

Somebody just yesterday on the internet somewhere defined bokeh as "those
funny shapes you get when you have pin points of light back lit"
And this I recall was on a photo site. He was giving advice on what
photography was all about. And didn't have a clue did he?
There are bokeh "effects". But its all bokeh.. The way out of focus areas
are rendered in the image. Even ones with no pin point backlights.
Tina is getting smooth bokeh in her shots. Not distracting.
The pin point effects John is getting to me looks ok. It just certainly
doesn't not DEFINE what bokeh is all about.

I've never bought into the idea that the Leica or other companies bokeh
kings was the old pre asph glass. Or uncoated  or single coasted glass...
I do buy into the idea that the better a lens is designed and constructed
the better your out of focus rendering is going to be.
I think a cutting edge modern lens will render both the in focus and out of
focus areas in the most ideal way.
I know my latest and newest lens does.