Subject: [Leica] Discovering One Self Through Photogralphy
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 00:00:23 +0100

Interesting Leon.  You've a take here that I'm not sure I agree with. "In
doing so there appears to be two strategic objectives: 1. Do I want to
capture the soul, essence, individuality, and uniqueness of my subject or
model (i.e., the Intrinsic Other)? 2. Do I want to use my subject or model
as a mirror to reflect my soul, values and fantasies (i.e., the Intrinsic
Self)? The former is captured best with Black and White photography rather
than Color Photography because color is a distraction. B&W Imaging captures
the soul when it comes to photographing people, and Color works where color
dominates."

Because colour was so rare in early photography, conventions sprang up, and
those conventions - no doubt pushed by studio photographers' marketing
instincts - indictated that colour did not reflect the Intrinsic Other.
However,
colour had been around in paintings for hundreds, nay thousands of years,
and did a reasonable job by all accounts.

However, once colour photography started to become popular especially as an
advertising and snapshot medium, I'd imagine studio photographers' survival
instincts kicked in. Studio and art photography had to be in black and
white. I certainly remember my parents say so as I was pushed along for a
formal photograph in black and white. The gaudiness and false vibrancy of
early colour may have helped foster that impression. Who knows?

Douglas