Subject: [Leica] Wireless hard drive with SD card slot
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 11:39:05 +0530

Jay,
Depends on what you are looking for. If you are only using SD cards, any
laptop will have a built in reader that will suffice. The problems in
backup usually come when multiple types of cards are involved - for my
safaris, I could use XQD, CF and SD cards on my Nikons. The Hyperdrive at
least solves two problems, and as I generally do not carry a laptop with
me, I do not use the XQD cards in my D4, but buy the fastest CF cards
available every year. If you buy a bare Hyperdrive and put in your own hard
disk, it will work out cheaper. I normally carry two Hyperdrives, and make
two backups, just to be on the safe side. Actually, if you are organized
very well, the best and probably safest backup, both in terms of cards and
images, would be to carry tons of 8GB or 16GB SD cards, and not to reuse
them. It would be very inexpensive as long as you do not want the fastest
cards...
Cheers
Jayanand