Subject: [Leica] IMG: "Tristes Tropiques" book project
From: malland at me.com (Mitchell Alland)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 23:37:19 +0700

Nathan - Thanks for looking and for the comments. The "Bangkok Hysteria? set
is a portfolio of 30 B&W photographs from a book project of the same name.
The brief foreword in the book states the following, from which you can see
the intent of the photographs ? so if you found the pictures ?dark and
depressing,? you?re essentially in line with what I wanted to express:

"This book is not about politics. The photographs were taken before the
bloodshed in Bangkok of May 2010, in which over ninety people were killed
and 1,800 wounded. But photographing in the streets, in private moments
before they caught one's eye and smiled, I could see that people often
exhibited strain and stress, against a background of economic and political
problems and tensions and the underlying hardships of living in a huge,
chaotic, tropical city that had been experiencing rapid social change and
inflow of people from the countryside for decades."

Anyone who wants to see the whole of the ?Bangkok Hysteria? project can
download the 120-page PDF file (50MB) here: bit.ly/LV6LiK

On providing link for downloading a PDF file, I understand that some people
aren?t keep to do so. However, some people have told me that they like this
form of distribution ? and anyone can delete the PDF file after viewing it.

On, the idea of commenting on photographs being a ?two-way street?: yes, it
can be. However, my general preference is to participate in substantive
discussions on photographs ? granted there are few of those. Also, I haven?t
really participated in LUG because I used the ?digest? method of viewing,
which is cumbersome when it comes to replying.

- - Mitch