Subject: [Leica] How to take gear long-haul
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:14:25 -0800

Hi Adam,

I don't think you'll have any problem.

I don't fly with items as large as those that Jayanand uses, but I also
don't fly business class. In the last days of film my carryon was full of
bare film rolls in baggies, with maybe a body and a longer lens in there as
well, and then a separate camera bag such as the Domke 803. That was good
for 3 bodies and 6 or seven lenses.

When we went to Kenya with Jayanand etc., I had a carry-on with clothing and
other things and a camera bag that held 3 m43 bodies and lenses that covered
14-600mm, including fast primes. No checked bags needed. In fact, the last
significant trip on which we came close to maxing out our luggage was to
South America with film cameras, where we hiked the Machu Picchu trail so
needed hiking gear and warm clothes, went down the Amazon for a bit (HOT
weather clothing) and Galapagos, where we snorkeled and hiked. 100-400 zoom,
underwater housing, lots of film, hiking boots and swim fins made for a
large load. Since then it's been carry-on only.

In business class you should not have any problems. BTW, if you're
considering a super-zoom, I think you should look at the Panny LX1000, which
has a 25-400 lens. 400 should be adequate, and the quality from this camera
is sooo much higher than that from the tiny sensor cameras that go longer.

Henning