Subject: [Leica] How to take gear long-haul
From: coupdefoudrellc at gmail.com (Wilbur Norman)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:07:03 -0700

Adam,

First off, you are in for a real treat. Tanzania is a beautiful country and
the people are great and very polite.

If you have not looked at F-Stop backpacks, do so. The Satori EXP is the
largest but will still fit into the overhead of even the smaller jets like
those made in Brazil used for short-haul flights in many places. There are
lots of different set-ups with the internal cases that fit inside the Satori
EXP depending on the amount of gear you are taking. Then, there is space
left over for stuff like some clothes and any meds you travel with. Take the
meds and your sunglasses with you on the plane as you will need both
in-country!

Do a little internet checking on things like insect repellent. There are
lots of mosquitoes and tse-tse flies in the country and the best policy is
not to get bitten. If you do, not to worry, most flies are free of sleeping
sickness (I think) but the bite hurts like hell! (Think large horse-fly
bite.) Mosquitoes are most active dusk to dawn so wear long-sleeves and
avoid wearing dark colors. If you are in the U.S. look at the State
Department and CDC web sites for current info on hazards of all kinds.
(Well, actually, you can look regardless of where you are.)

Remember the small things that will keep you healthy like watch what water
you drink, ice cubes, salads, yoghurt, etc. These are consumables often
overlooked that can make you very sick for a few days ? or longer. I eat
street food of the grilled variety, always well-done but be careful with
this as it can easily ruin a large portion of your trip.

Africans, like most people in the world outside Europe, America, Australia,
New Zealand and S. Africa, rarely wear short pants. It is partly cultural
and partly because of the physical environment. Long pants that dry quickly
are a good investment if you do not already own some. I do wear day-time
shorts a lot in Africa (and endure the stares it sometimes brings in bush
country) but always wear hiking boots when out and about and switch to long
pants and socks as dusk sets in. Boots are good protection from thorns,
biting nasties, etc. The women in your group will do well to dress
conservatively when out and about away from wherever you are staying. I tend
to wear long-sleeve shirts all the time and pull up the sleeves. The sun can
be a bother so I sweat rather than burn. If you are staying at higher
altitudes it will get cold at night so a good sweater will come in handy if
this is in your plans!

If you need a little R&R there is a really nice place just south of Dar
(follow the bay around for 45 minutes or so: Kipepeo Beach something or
other.

Stonetown in Zanzibar is OK, but it's best to get to other places on the
island. We like a little place in Bweju on the eastern side across from
Stonetown. It's a bit of a drive but the bonus is you might get to see red
colobus monkeys over that way. You can send me a private email for more
info. Driving on the island is, perhaps, best left to someone who is a very
good driver with quick reflexes. It's the getting out of the capital area
that is the problem. People everywhere on the streets and roads. Once out of
town one can relax a bit. Be prepared to stop every 20 km. or so for police
checks. DO NOT run thru these! Be courteous and polite. I have never been
shaken down for money, by the by, but have known friends who have been.

If you intend climbing Kili take the longest trek you have the time for.
More people summit by taking, say, 6 days instead of 5. Acclimatization is
key and that doesn't necessarily correlate with how good physical shape you
are in!

Have a great trip!

Wilbur
P.S. would have uploaded some images but I'm new to LUG and haven't looked
to figure out how to do that yet.