Subject: [Leica] Great Sand Dunes National Park
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 22:47:24 -0600

We?re currently finishing up our first major (3 weeks) RV trip. One of the
most memorable stops was at Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve in
Colorado. Here prodigious amounts of sand produced over eons by erosion of
the San Luis Mountains has been carried by prevailing westerly winds across
the San Luis Valley, eventually getting deposited as the wind becomes
turbulent at the foot of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. Easterly winter
winds push the sand back down off the mountains so that it has accumulated
in a field miles across and about 225 m/750ft high. From up close at the
base, the dune field is awesome (in the old sense, before the word was
bleached of its meaning), massive, serene, dwarfing even the cloud shadows
that fall on it.

Here is a link to my favorite several images:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/dunes/

All shot with my favorite grab-and-go camera, the Sony NEX7. I was unsure
about trusting $20K worth of M240 and lenses to the security of an RV for
several weeks, but I think that caution was unnecessary. Anyway, this way I
could use a circular polarizer, which I routinely use for landscapes,
especially when blue sky is in the picture.

C&C solicited and welcomed.

?howard

Replies: Reply from leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans) ([Leica] Great Sand Dunes National Park)
Reply from rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler) ([Leica] Great Sand Dunes National Park)