Subject: [Leica] Leica prices
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 06:32:26 -0500

On Sep 24, 2014, at 11:05 PM, Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:

> All
> these brands also depend on an emotional response to sell, which is a fact,
> whether you like it or not, and however you justify it. Nothing wrong with
> that at all, it is the way of the world - and how the Madison Avenue gnomes
> subliminally manipulate ALL of us! I have a partiality to IWC mechanical
> watches and Japanese lacquer pens, for example, which is to my mind, is an
> equally emotional reaction at its core. I accept that, and still buy the
> products. Go figure.

Yes. Of course. That goes without even having to say it Jayanand.

It's true of the food we eat; the cars we drive;
the people we befriend or partner we're with;
the paint we choose to brush on our walls;
the pants we shove our legs into; and the shoes on our feet.

To somehow suggest that emotions have a different or more powerful effect
when considering Leica over Nikon or Canon or Fuji or whatever
doesn't carry a whole lot of weight for me.
I feel emotional attachment to Linhof, Nikon F, Hasselblad 500CM,
Deardorf, (4x5 and 8x10 in general actually);
and even though I've owned a 10D, 20D and 5D
I feel absolutely NO emotions when using Canon tools;
even though while shooting I'm every bit as emotionally involved
in my subject as when using tools that feel much better to me during use.

It seems, when listening to the naysayers, that there's as much or more
negative emotion around the Leica brand as there is positive emotion.

I've driven Dodge vans most of my working life.
They've taken me and my family from one end of the country to the other.
I've slept in them; made love in them; taken my pets to the vet in them;
they've carried my gear to every professional location shoot.
They've moved materials and tools to build my homes;
and moved the furnishings into those homes.
I've found them reliable and dependable.
I also prefer the styling of them over other van brands.
They certainly aren't Mercedes or BMW or some other high end brand.

I also drove MG-A, MG-B and Austin Healey in my youth;
as well as Matchless motorcycles - all of which also stir up emotions -
I still long for those open road, air in the face experiences to repeat
themselves
in silly nostalgic moments.

It all gets real personal, with use, real quick.

To each his or her own.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com