Subject: [Leica] LTM lens to M body
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 17:29:51 -0400

 Herb,
The M body flange to film distance is 1 mm shorter than the LTM flange to
film distance. The LTM to M adaptor is 1 mm thick. When the adaptor is
screwed ?to the threads of an LTM lens the lens, for all intents and
purposes it becomes an M lens. The focusing cams and mechanism work the same
way on the M as they do on the LTM cameras. Leica released the M bodies
before it had a sufficient supply of M lenses and, using this simple method
of fitting the older lenses to the new bodies hoped to seduce LTM fans into
buying a camera which was so different. It worked for me. I could fit all my
old Leica lenses to my newly purchased M camera. Unfortunately for Leica I
could also fit my Canon lenses and a few Nikon lenses to the Leica as well.
In the 50s the Leica screw mount was the defacto standard for many removable
35 mm rangefinder lenses except for Contax and a few other odd balls.?
Larry Z
- - -?