Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Beauty of M9 colors at night (Bangkok portfolio)
From: mitcha at mac.com (mitcha at mac.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 00:44:40 +0200

Richard - there is a long thread here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/292708-m9-colors-night-best-way-shoot.html

?parts of which are worth reading if you are interested in trying this
technique. In particular, read Jim Kasson?s posts and the links to his blog:
he?s done a lot of work and explains and shows conclusively why it?s better
with the M9 to shoot at ISO 640 and push in LR 4 or 5. (He answers your
questions).

Also, I?ll post here the steps in shooting and processing that I suggested
as a starting point:

Exposure
At ISO 640 start (with the Elmarit 21mm ASPH) by exposing at f/2.8 and a
shutter speed of 1/60 or 1/90, and (with a Summicorn-28) by exposing at
f/2.0 and a shutter speed of 1/120 or 1/180. The aim is not to blow out the
highlights. On a dark night, I find that I don't need much depth of field
because of the rapid drop-off in light intensity.

Lightroom 4/5 Post-Processing
1. Click Auto in the Exposure Panel and use this as the starting point.
2. Adjust the Exposure Slider to the point at which you like the look.
3. Press "J" and see whether any of the highlights are blown out.
4. If necessary (from Step 3), pull back on the Highlights Slider.
5. I like to pull back the Black Slider to negative numbers so that picture
has a look that I like.
6. Click White Balance Eye Dropper in an area you want to be neutral grey,
but I don't like to neutralize the colors completely because I want a "real"
look from the lights in the picture.
7. Try moving the Clarity Slider between +10 ? +30. (I find that increasing
Clarity creates a good feeling of light in a high contrast scene, but
sometimes this may not be necessary or even may not look good.
8. If you increased Clarity, you can probably pull back a bit on the
Exposure.
9. In the Noise Reduction panel, after setting the View to 100%, move the
Color Slider to the right until the color noise disappears.
10. Still at 100% View, move the Luminance Slider to the right if necessary
to remove more noise, but be careful no to go too far. Some pictures will
not need any Luminance Slide increase.

- - Mitch