Subject: [Leica] Hong Kong & Shanghai
From: hjwulff at gmail.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:48:25 -0700

In Hong Kong and Shanghai people were generally fine with being photographed
in the streets compared with Europe or N. America, although there was
occasional resistance. In the interior were there were fewer tourists,
people were very open to having their pictures taken; even often to the
point of asking me to take their pictures, and holding up their children for
me to take pictures. Mind you, this was in 2005 and things would certainly
have changed. Communication was never really a problem. Gestures and smiles
generally sufficed, and when more detailed communication was necessary,
children aged 10-12 were called, and many of those had learned a fair bit of
English in school.

I had a Canon 5D and an APS-C Canon with me at the time, so I was not really
very stealthy. I found China just about the easiest place to do street
photography. The only real problem was that we were on a three week tour,
and I never had enough time in the places I wanted to walk around.

Henning