Subject: [Leica] For trade? Or, maybe I'm just way off base.
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 02:13:01 -0800

I'm still on my original M8--the MM I shot with is Jay's. I could see
myself owning an MM and relegating color to my Olympus E-M5. I'm also a
little scared of the sensor delamination issue that appears to be
developing with all the M9 models, including the MM. And then there's the
cost...  But, my that camera is sweet.  I'm going to think long and hard
about this.

Susan, the old and new Noctiluxes are two very different lenses, and I
agree with you about the .95's bokeh.  Richard's reasoning is very useful.
I would also add, would you really use the Noctilux a lot?  Does is truly
resonate with the kind of photographs you love to make?  Or did Leica
Marketing plant the Noctilust virus in your brain?  :-)

Personally, I thought about the f/1 back when it wasn't stupid crazy
expensive, but I never could justify it. On the other hand, I think the MM
resonates with what I like to to enough that I'm going to seriously
consider it, even though the cost makes me gasp.   Plus, it will let me
play with my 50mm lenses as fifties again (with the M8 they're 67mm
equivalents).  And I get my atmosphere and bokeh jollies with old lenses.

You can probably find the dollar equivalents by looking at B&H/Adorama Web
sites plus some recent EekPay auctions and/or ads on the better forums like
RFF or Fred Miranda.  I think it's always better to have equipment you use
and love rather than a prestige item you don't.  :-)

--Peter