Subject: [Leica] The myth of larger, no border etc..
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 01:17:00 -0500

Every spec of grain in a contact print is self masking. Its not light
bouncing around the darkroom and off the enlarge column degrading the image.
Its pure image. And no enlarger non calibration as there is no enlarger and
no lens imperfections as there is no enlarger lens and no enlarger vibration
ditto.
Yet most of the more famous shooters of 8x10 film projection print.
The big exception is Edward Weston. His work is hanging up in the middle of
mural sized color prints in those Carmel Galleries and going for ten times
the money.
His enlarger was a light bulb hanging off the ceiling with a string hanging
down which he'd turn on for the amount of time until it felt right. Just
like he'd time his exposures with his camera in the first place.

Id just see a Weston print in a gallery though then get a 50 dollar print
from whoever this guy is. Selling 50 dollar prints don't sound right. Not
8x10 contact prints for sure.

--
Mark William Rabiner
Photographer