Subject: [Leica] 4 Pics -> Ted
From: lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 00:34:43 +0100

Hi Ted,

First all thank you for your words to my work, your words are, as usual, a
true lesson.

I?m reading a small book recently published of interviews to HCB and I
realize several things, he has two special sentences that caught my interest
?I?m not interested for the photography it is the life what interest me? and
?the art of viewing is everything?. This sounds me?. someone has make a DVD
I saw several times ?The Art of Observation??. I think your e-mail desserves
a deep personal response.

I think that when someone start into the photography the main concern is
take pictures, nice pictures, when you become more experienced the main
concern is capturing the essence of the life, and I think as well, you shall
be rich in your inner life to be able to view and capture the life around
you. Actually I?m mostly interested to read and know about the thoughts of
the great photographers than to see the images, imaging can not be just an
aesthetic result but a consequence of introspection, what can otherwise help
our gaze be surprised by everything we see?. When I was young, I was
admiring the great photographers visiting exotic Countries, I was not able
to do the same, on the other side I?ve discovered the great humanistic
photographers, Doisneau, Izis, Weiss, Ronis, Boubat, Riboud, Mary Ellen Mark
? and many others and I?ve asked my self why are they surprised by their
look by the everyday life around them?? if they have found it, I shall do an
effort and try to find also the same impact. I?m sorry for this explanation,
but this explain one of the reasons how and why I?ve became interested for
the kind of photography I?m doing.

You have said another memorable sentence:

<<YOU CAN ONLY SHOW IT, TELL THEM, AGAIN & AGAIN! "But you ain't going to
teach it!>>

I feel very honored and excited with the words you say to me, really, I do
not deserve such. Not if I can teach, however, I would be satisfied if he
knew how analyze their pictures. In the LUG we have a very high photographic
quality level, however I see much worth what abounds in the world of
photography, pure garbage from pictures made in the street who think they
are street photography, others taken with the sole obsession to demonstrate
the exceptional qualities of a new lens inadvertently falling into marketing
the manufacturers own favor, with many photographs pictures. Perhaps this is
a emerging new photographic specialty ?Camera Tester"?

I apologize if you think that what I have written I want to give a lesson,
is not it, I think it is the first time in my life I express with all
sincerity and humility what I really think and feel, and only show it by
gratitude and answer to my dear friend Ted. When something is done
spontaneously by instinct, is not a merit, it is a natural characteristic to
follow as simply as my friend advised saying "KISS"

Thank You!

Cheers
Lluis

El 14/01/2015, a las 00:07, Ted Grant <tedgrant at shaw.ca> escribi?: