Subject: [Leica] New Monochrome? EVERYONE!
From: george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 07:52:00 -0600

wish I'd known.

i left two of them to end up in a land fill or some sort of recycling center.

Light meters and densitometers were once indispensable for a complete
understanding of how our light, film and chemistry all played together.
Now they're built into our cameras, computers and software.

Densitometers were mandatory to running consistent Kodachrome and Ektachrome
lines.
Every day began with running test strips and reading and charting densities
through filters to determine what had occurred with the chemistry since the
last film run; and over night. Chemistry was then adjusted as needed to
provide results consistent with Kodak's specifications.

Using a densitometer on black and white negatives, together with the Zone
system at the subject exposure end, provided absolutely consistent and
repeatable results; along with a complete understanding of the various
quantities of light being focused on the various emulsions; as well as the
effects of the various chemicals, and their times, temperatures and
agitations, on each unique emulsion.

These understandings do in fact translate quite well to using our digital
sensors and understanding both their advantages and limitations.

a note off the iPad, George

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] New Monochrome? EVERYONE!)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] New Monochrome? EVERYONE!)
Message from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] New Monochrome? EVERYONE!)