Subject: [Leica] Lightroom merge
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 16:02:19 -0800

I keep my Lightroom catalog on the laptop's internal drive but keep the
images on a separate external drive. (I'm using a relatively small SSD
internal so keeping large number of images on it doesn't work well.)

I make a separate catalog for each trip and make that one the default.

When I return home I do an "Export as Catalog" to a new folder on the
external drive. Lightroom then thoughtfully packages up everything into one
place. I then dismount the external from my laptop, plug it into my Desktop,
and then "Import From Another Catalog..." which handles all the copying for
me.

This seems to work quite well and it ensures the metadata is all moved
appropriately. I've been trying to take a lesson from Tina and keyword my
images. Sometimes I'm better at it than others. It DOES make finding things
and sorting things a lot easier, though.

I use a WD "My Passport Pro" which has two 2 TB drives set up as a mirrored
RAID. When I go to Africa I'll almost certainly take a small USB3 drive to
act as a separate backup repository and use something like Chronosync to
handle the automatic duplication between them.

All of this is on a MacBook and Mac Pro desktop system but except for the
synch program everything should work identically on the PC as well.

Adam