Subject: [Leica] Getty Images
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 09:26:27 -0800

Tina OFFERED::
Subject: Re: [Leica] Getty Images

photographers
20.  Alamy is doing fine with a 50/50 split and considerably higher fees
for usage.  Not as high as they used to be but at least Alamy is not giving
away photos for free!  Getty and the micro-stock agencies have devalued all
stock photography.  When I started in the stock photography, Rohn Engh used
to say, "Would you rather sell one perfect apple for $100 or 10 good-enough
apples for $10 each?"  I've always held out for the higher prices and
haven't regretted it.<<<<<

G'day Tina & CREW,

It, "GETTY IS A TRAVESTY FOR EVERYONE" BUT not for GETTY!!!  They cut prices
and shared revenues with photographers to the point they just automatically
and systematically killed off a huge number of independent photographers.
Who in their own way were making a reasonable Stock photo living, or not bad
in a middle class family manner. GETTY killed, in the business sense! An
innumerable number of fine photographers completely cut off from sales
simply because? GETTY became and still is the monster devouring single owner
stock photographer operation businesses.

However one of these days "the MIGHTY WILL FALL!"

And yes I admit I have been hurt financially enormously by GETTY due to
taking my annual stock income away completely that I normally received
through the "MASTERFILE STOCK AGENCY" an international agency around the
world situated in Toronto, CANADA whom I've supplied with material for close
to 50 years.

Covering any of the OLYMPIC GAMES?  GETTY has a deal with the IOC
"International Olympic Committee" to be the "PHOTOGRAPHERS of the GAMES!"
Obviously to the economical benefit of both parties! GETTY now has complete
control over all the photo positions and numbers of photographers who can
become accredited. And in that case cut's the numbers shooting for other
legitimate organizations/countries in competition.

LONDON UK Summer Games?  "GETTY was the all powerful control of
photographers with theirs having first rights to all positions!"

 Also the right to set remote cameras where it was physically impossible for
a "human being shooter" to fit. Quite frankly positions that were requested
by other "countries competing" for years before GETTY GOT THEIR PAWS into
the IOC's back pockets and as far as I'm concerned "CORRUPT BACK POCKETS!"

However, as it usually happens with "OUTFITS OF THIS NATURE?" They will
crash and burn by the road-side? Sooner or later one of these days?!

A SIDE NOTE FOR JAYANAND..........................

Yes economic times and business practices change over time. And we who are
part of it must change our methods. No question! But when you have the GETTY
MONSTER of monsters devouring everything before them the independent
photographer business person becomes devoured and overwhelmed! Because it
isn't possible to compete other than "GIVING YOUR IMAGES AWAY FOR FREE OR
NEARLY SO!"

And that my dear friend doesn't put BREAD ON THE TABLE FOR YOUR FAMILY
SUPPER!"

cheers,
Dr. ted

http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.com/2015/02/getty-images-downward-spiral-