Subject: [Leica] I got published in Sky & Telescope magazine, but...
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 16:03:54 -0400

Last October I took some nice photos of the fully eclipsed Moon setting
towards trees low in the west. It was as the sky was just beginning to be
light enough that the sky was a deep, dark blue in an exposure that captured
the Moon nicely, but not so bright that the exposure would have to be too
short to capture stars as well or so bright that the trees in the foreground
would be illuminated. Here?s a link to my original photo:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Blood+Moon/Blood+Moon+in+Stars.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Blood+Moon/Blood+Moon+in+Stars.jpg.html>
  Please view full.

I think it?s an attractive composition, and it nicely captures something not
often seen in astroimages?five distance scales: the tree, the sky, the Moon,
Uranus (brightest point of light to the left of the Moon), and the stars. I
submitted it to S&T noting these aspects of the image, both of which require
inclusion of much more than the Moon to appreciate. The photo, or a small
part of it, will be published in the May issue. The issue hasn?t been
released yet, and there?s no link to the image, but I got a pre-publication
copy because my photo was chosen for publication.

I was surprised to find it cropped down to just a 2 x 2" ?head shot? of the
Moon, with barely any surrounding sky or sense of its color, and no tree,
Uranus, or stars. Taken with a 400mm zoom, this image was not meant to be a
detailed view of the eclipsed face of the Moon, but rather was a study of
the eclipsed Moon low in the sky in a field that included terrestrial,
planetary, and stellar objects as well. It?s a composition that,
esthetically and scientifically, works only if the whole is present. Cropped
down to a passport photo of the Moon, it?s too low-res and pedestrian to be
worth publishing, IMHO.

I?m certainly flattered, and grateful to S&T for giving me my first magazine
image publication, but disappointed in the way they chose to do it. Am I
being too critical? Or is this just another example of the eternal gulf
between "content creators" and editors?

?howard

Replies: Reply from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] I got published in Sky & Telescope magazine, but...)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] I got published in Sky & Telescope magazine, but...)