Subject: [Leica] Tina's softness/sharpness/focus issue - might be solved, in part
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 11:36:25 -0400

Tina, post them but don't ask for technical advice. Like if its too dark or
too light or really anything like that.
I don't ask tech advice and I don't get that much.
I get "nice pic, Mark" and that's fine with me. And:
" reminds me of the taste of wild hickory nuts". Which starts my day of just
fine.
When an established photographer shows somebody a picture I think it assumed
they like it feel its a strong image and want to share it with you. See if
you also think so or maybe its leaving you a bit flat. Not contrast flat but
emotionally.
Having someone tell a seasoned photog if they think it should be cropped
more or less or lighter or darker is a bit presumptuous. Unless they asked
them too!
In 50 years of showing people prints I can recall that happening to me once
it was a few years ago and a few months later they put the guy in the looney
bin. True story. And coincidence.
Even when a novice photog shows me a print I'm reluctant to give that kind
of advice unless I'm sure its what they're asking me for.
I say "what kind of criticism are you asking for"
To which they invariably say "I don't know"
After which I give examples which are multiple choice.
And they still don't know. They're all very shy.
I just say if I'm responding to the image strongly or not. "this one I like
less than the others" is what I say to a god awful image..
I'll say" did you make that one with a bit more contrast if so I'd love to
see it!?" Or
Is this when the camera went of accidently while it was hanging around your
neck? Is what I say when I'm being serious.
I think its unusual and uncommon for a seasoned photog to ask technical
advice from a general crowd. I'd advise against it. Its asking for trouble
With a capital T which rhymes with P and stands for Plus X!

I'd strongly advise not putting up black and white vs. color comparisons.
These are decisions we need to make for ourselves and remind me of my very
early academic classes in photography. And most classes are academic or
should be.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.