Subject: [Leica] Photo show dissent
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:39:44 -0400

        I just came back from the Westchester Photo Show where four of my
older photographs were hung. They stood out like sore thumbs. Not because
they were inferior but because they were different. All of mine were street
photos or pseudo street photos, slices of life taken in my usual
adventitious manner. Several were in my LUG gallery and were taken on film.
I'd be the first to admit that they are not great pictures but they were a
sample of my photographic endeavors.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Cook.jpeg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Coppersmith.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/The+valve+room.jpg.html
        Most of the other pictures exhibited were carefully posed, highly
processed images which tried to emulate fine art. I've always believed, as
have most Luggers, that art and photography are two different media, each
with its advantages and disadvantages. An artist can take time to pose the
subject appropriately, choose colors, and accentuate what he or she chooses.
It is a contemplative and imaginative medium. Photography, on the other
hand, is ideal for catching slices of life which may vanish in a fraction of
a second.?It is a realistic and immediate medium.
        What was most interesting is that several exhibiting photographers
maintained that the original image was not the end in itself but merely the
starting point for intensive manipulation in Photoshop. Indeed, some of the
pictures were so significantly altered that they bore little resemblence to
the actual scene. Colors were changed, portions of the image were
accentuated or eliminated. The worst case, in my opinion, was a photograph
which combined several individual photos in one displayed image. Just like
the Russian Mayday podium pictures.
        I'm coming to believe that exhibited photos should bear a warning
label, like foodstuffs, noting if any artificial ingredients were used in
the presentation.
        Larry Z

Replies: Reply from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] Photo show dissent)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Photo show dissent)